Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Lots of Chinglish Pictures, Plus My Favorite Small Town China Story So Far

Hope you all had a nice Memorial Day weekend. We owe a lot to our veterans and their families.

Last weekend I went to visit friends in a small city about four hours away. It was so great to spend time with them and get out of the Chongqing smog, traffic and all around chaos for a few days. We went shopping and I saw these t-shirts. I didn’t buy them, but I couldn’t let them go without documenting them either:

05302010268

05302010269

These leggings were for sale at a kid’s clothing store. I was so tempted to buy them, just because they exist:

05302010270

Sign in the small town square. Conveniently find all the women and children in town, as well as Iraqis. (The Mandarin says roughly “Her Decorations World” so I have no idea how they got ‘Iraqis’ out of that. It’s a mystery.)

05302010271

E. lives full-time in this small town, and she told me about being at their long-distance bus station and asking if there were an outlet were she could plug in her cell phone charger. “Sure,” the bus employee answered…and unplugged the station’s only security x-ray machine so she could plug in her cell phone. I just love that story. 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun weekend away.
    The plug story made me laugh!!!!
    What the hey with those shirts? Do they understand that? cause I don't. ;)
    I have those leggings. Childrens XL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I love Chinglish! Engrish is one of my all time favorite websites! I'm so glad you took pics... I have a very funny pic on my blog which was (purportedly) taken at a Chinese health clinic... you'll have to come by and look. (It's under the heading "Engrish" of course.... I almost wet my pants I was laughing so hard...) :)

    Hope you had a lovely day today. I made a disastrous error at work, but they didn't pull out the guillotine, so I think I still have a job tomorrow (unless the firing squad is waiting for me upon my arrival.) :)

    PS: Glad there have been no major earthquakes near you! I have been monitoring the situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that small town story! Small towns are sort of universal no matter which country you are in it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are priceless, Becca! Hope you post them on engrishfunny.com !!

    Sounds like small towns all over the world know how to live... I don't think to ever be able to live in a city ever again. Nobody locks their doors here, it's a system based on trust.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those t-shirts are hilarious! Haha

    ReplyDelete