Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Rant About Technology

This has nothing to with living in China.

So I'm a big fan of gchat, as I've mentioned here before. And I have a system. I use iGoogle as my homepage, sort of like my own personal dashboard for the sites I visit most, rss feeds, access to email, and what have you. Gchat is an option in iGoogle, but I disabled it because I actually don't want to be available every time I have a window open. I like you, my friends, but not that much. So I only enable gchat in my actual gmail account page, which I only access when I need to send attachments, search for old mail, actually chat with someone etc. BUT, yesterday these things flip-flopped, and I don't know why, and I can't figure out how to get it back. Google, are you messing with me? Or did I sleep-change all my applications? I can't get iGoogle chat to disable without also disabling it in my gmail window. BUT, chat doesn't show up in my gmail window, even though it is active. Like, none of my contacts load. ARGH!

If I had my way, people would still hand write me letters to communicate with me. Do you know how nice it must have been to have that lag time?? No immediate response required!  One thing I love about China is that there is no voice mail. Texting is great, because you can ignore them until you're ready to answer, but then I always feel guilty that people know you're ignoring them. So yeah, letters, let's bring those back.

These are not real problems, I know. But technology should work the same today as it did yesterday. Is that too much to ask? I don't like waking up and things are different. Routines should just be what they are, and that's that. Also, I am apparently now 80 years old.

UPDATE: 36 hours later, and it's back to the way it was before. Google, stop it.

6 comments:

  1. I just bought stationary tonight to write some old fashioned letters to my far away friends. Send me your address and I'll happily send you mail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goooaaaah so annoying when those glitches happen! Take Facebook - it's a crap shoot if your current view will stay a month or not before they change everything again!

    Courage. You can master it. And 80 is the new 20, so neeerrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So darn funny. I don't think you did a 'sleep-change' on this.
    I have no idea what any of that was either...so, um I am 90!!!

    I do love getting real mail too...just the thought of someone taking the time to write me, it is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was little, forever and a day ago, we all had penpals. |Getting those letters in the mail were the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are issues between Google and China right now so maybe that is part of your problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been meaning to write to you and I get busy with school projects, art projects and work and I forget to do it. :(

    I'll have to find your address again and make it a point to write because I love snail mail, too! It's wonderful to find a letter from a faraway friend among all the bills and junk mail, isn't it?

    Happy Friday, Chica!! Enjoy your weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete