Saturday, April 3, 2010

English Phrase Of The Week

"Sudden onset cryabeetus"

Meaning: crybaby whiners. I'm going to start using this in everyday conversation, stat.

(From the bottom of the page here.)

While we're at it, how about a Chinese phrase of the week?

"An lian" ("暗恋")

Meaning: to be secretly in love. Kind of like a crush, but more serious and dramatic, like Jim-for-Pam, Days Of Our Lives kind of love. You can use it as a verb instead of a noun or adjective, which makes it more fun. I am fond of saying, 'I anlian him.'  But I use it more as a joke, not as a real condition.

What's your favorite phrase? I say "evidently" a lot at the beginning of sentences. Or, "Sooo, evidently..." And "suspicious" to sum up.

4 comments:

  1. Crybaby whiners... i love this. They are everywhere, aren't they?

    That regretsy site is crazy funny.

    Evidently, I say "serious" a lot. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be sure to use one of your fun expressions with my dramatic clients this week. In file notes: "Mr. Smith had a sudden onset cryabeetus..." lol

    After saying something blunt and honest to a friend I like to add, "having said that..." and compliment them in some way. I'm known for this!

    Happy Easter, Chica!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the chinese phrase has such a lovely definition. Hope you had a happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a great phrase. I've heard versions of that before in American terms...kinda catchy! I say "Shut up" a lot..like Elaine on Seinfeld. I dont literally mean to be quiet - but if you are not a Seinfeld-ian - you may think just that...I've gotten strange looks before. Having to explain myself a little...

    ReplyDelete