Friday, April 9, 2010

Ain't Just A G(irl) Thing, Bay-bay

Phone conversation I had today with T.:

(Ring ring!)

Me: "Hey."
T.: "I can't find the office."
Me: "What?"
T.: "I'm on campus but I can't find the office. Oh wait, is it by the bell?"
Me: "Wait, what? It's Rebecca. Did you mean to call me?"
T.: "Yeah, I meant to call you. Is the office near the bell, am I on the right road?"
Me: "My campus?"
T:. "No, Sichuan."
Me: "Oh, you mean the Peace Corps office?"
T.: "Yeah, I'm walking there now."
M.: "Oh, yeah, I guess maybe there is a bell there." (Sidenote: I've never noticed a bell, but whatevs.) "Is there a big track and basketball court to your left?"
T.: "Yeah, I'm walking past them now." (Sidenote: Why use a bell as a landmark when there's a whole block of track and courts!?) "Wait, okay, I see where it is. Bye."

My dad used to observe that I start conversations in my head, then start speaking out loud in the middle of them and expect people to know what I'm talking about, and that this conversational strategy is sometimes hard to follow. Other guys I know have said this, too. (One recently: "You use a lot of footnotes when you talk.") Although interestingly, my female friends have never noticed, or at least never complained. But apparently this phenomenon? Not just a girl thing.

(And yes, I knew he was going to Sichuan U. today but totally forgot in that moment he'd be there already. I'm not known for my attention to details.)

Btw, thank you for your comments on the video. I was quite nervous to post it. It's a bit long, if I do one again, I'll try to keep it down to 3 minutes. I might do one to show interesting Chinese beauty products.

4 comments:

  1. I do the same exact thing, starting conversations (and emails) in my head and then just expecting people to know what I'm talking about. Good to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not think the video was too long...but that is me.
    The phone conversation was funny...I too, need a moment to wrap my brain around things before I can speak.
    My youngest always brings things up that we have NOT a clue as to what she is saying...she started thinking about it long before us and thinks we can read her mind.
    I told her, I don't read braile.
    I am so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I start and end many conversations in my head. Now thats crazy!

    ReplyDelete