Friday, April 16, 2010

A Little More About Starbucks, and Transliteration

A couple of photos from Writer’s Club day at the Starbucks we like to sit in:

IMG_4938

 

IMG_4936

Starbucks here isn't just a coffee shop, it's a place "hip" Chinese (and regular Westerners) hang out. It's a destination of sorts. Part of this is because it's expensive by Chinese standards, and partly (as far as I can work out) because coffee isn't a popular taste here; if you like coffee, you're a little more open-minded, fashionable, experienced, and glamorous. Sort of like Americans and smelly cheeses or a particular kind of French champagne or wine?

One of my students told me her dream date was to go to Starbucks. So, nice job Starbucks Chinese marketing staff!

The name Starbucks in Chinese is Xing Ba Ke 星巴克。 Xing = Star, Ba = desire or fervent hope, Ke = gram, but also popular for transliterative purposes in general for the 'k' sound.

I think transliteration from Chinese characters into English phonetic sounds is very interesting. My name, Rebecca, traditionally transliterates as Li Bei Sha 丽蓓莎。Li = beautiful, Bei = flower bud, Sha = a type of grass, but it's the same character used for Shakespeare's Chinese transliterative name, Sha Shi Bi Ya, 莎士比亚, so I like it. And do I think it's a little funny the first letter of my name is changed from an R to an L in Chinese? YES.

Most of my students have a hard time with my English name, they call me by my last name, which is easier. And culturally more comfortable for them. I use my Chinese name when talking to non-English speakers because 'Rebecca' makes them panic; I know this because they just smile when I tell them, they don't even try to say it. 

I'm going to miss my Chinese name.

11 comments:

  1. The last time I visited China, I remember Pizza Hut being a rather fancy sit-down restaurant. I thought that was hilarious.

    There might be a better way to transliterate your name using some of the characters you identified.

    How about 日蓓克 or 热蓓克?

    I've only taken 2 years of Mandarin Chinese, so I could be way off.

    These might be closer to the English pronunciation, but I guess they're just not as pretty as 丽蓓莎.

    No need to miss your Chinese name. I say you keep it =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, 热蓓克 is great! (For those that don't know, that first character is pronounced 're' and means 'hot' or 'heat.') But, maybe not so modest? 丽 is a common girl's name, so I think that's why they use it for Rebecca. As for 莎 instead of 克, it makes no sense, but I like sharing a character with Shakespeare.

    Pizza Hut is totally a nice sit-down restaurant here. I did a post on it once. I should add a search function to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should keep your chinese name when you come home. Challenge all of us. :0
    Starbucks is a fancy date place? Who would have quessed it????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a Chinese name! What would mine be?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! A Confederacy of Dunces -I have that book on my shelf, LOL! :-D

    (I keep the ones I like)

    Libecca - teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh...

    They had a radio story yesterday on newscasters trying to pronounce the name of the Icelandic volcano that is erupting:

    Eyjafjallajokull

    ReplyDelete
  7. How strange cultural differences are huh? Starbucks is still fancy to me here, few and far between delicacy now a days...my Chinese-ness coming thru :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you from Ily's Another Day in Paradise blog. I'm coming to China at the end of May and I can't wait to look around here and see what's in store for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do love to hear about all of the differences! Even the picture you captured of the starbucks cup is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog! My husband was in China for several months ( with work) he is 6'4" tall, he got a lot of attention. He mentioned the western restaurants had a wonderful variety of people who were regulars. Sounds like Starbucks is just as fun.
    Wishing you happiness, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the translation of your name. I'd like to hear more about your writers club...maybe I should scroll down, huh? (Just noticed your April 15th post while I'm writing this.) :)

    Funny how they associate Starbuck's with the glamorous life...maybe it has something to do with the prices! Coffee shouldn't cost $4...anywhere!

    ReplyDelete