Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Tribute To My Attributes

I can't speak fluent English anymore. I can WRITE fluently in English, because I can take time to think about the words and fix the ones that are wrong*. But speaking? I suck at speaking right now. I didn't even realize how much I sucked at speaking until my friend Renee had a friend visitor from America, and he was super cute and we were having a nice conversation during which I said about 10 times, "I can't remember how to say it in English." Charming. No really, catch me a year ago, I knew how to talk about complicated things then, I swear! Oh well. (I also never noticed how many straight-up Chinese words I use now even when speaking English, until I was speaking to someone who doesn't know them.)

When I do speak English, I'm speaking to my students or to other volunteers who also right now suck at speaking English, and we don't notice that we are using 'Special English' English-- that is, English without complicated words. But speaking to a native speaker? Forget it. I sound like one of the characters on Sesame Street. And not one of the human ones. I had to laugh the other day because I was having a conversation about oldest and youngest children and I said something about taking-charge being "a tribute of oldest children." And neither of us noticed immediately that I said anything wrong.

So I'll go on calling lacquer 'liquor' and attributes 'tributes' and my teapot a 'hot water maker.' And when I'm back home and I accidentally say something to you in Chinese, just nod and smile. I'll get over it soon enough.

*I hope I catch them all.

9 comments:

  1. Oh NO, you are turning into one of your students!!! ;)
    I am sure it will take some time when you get back home, but it is quite humorous to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to Miami! You'll be saying things like, "Me no like white wine, me like red." :)

    Seriously, I'll have you speaking Spanglish in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I'm around to hear your Chinglish before it wears off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know this only adds to your cuteness factor, yes? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats not funny, but it is understandable...if nothing else, for the first year you are back - you can keep reminding folks of where you most recently spent you time so that they get it. Once you are back - it will come back too..especially emersed in American culture again...watch, you'll see..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best cure for Chinese-ese? Arkansas!! English SMACKDOWN!!! You survived one - I'm sure you'' survive the other! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Author www.beccaplaying.com !
    It is a pity, that now I can not express - there is no free time. But I will return - I will necessarily write that I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
    And you et an account on Twitter?

    ReplyDelete