Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Shhh....Peeing Strategy



Most babies in my part of China don't wear diapers; instead, they wear split pants like this, and their parents hold them over a street grate, toilet, or even just a sidewalk to pee and poop. I wondered how the parents keep the babies from peeing and pooping all over them, and I learned that as soon as babies are born, the parents begin potty training them. When the babies are peeing or whatever, the parents whisper a sound like "shhhhh...." in their ear. After a few months, the babies will only go the bathroom when their parents prompt them to do so by shhhhing in their ear. The babies are considered "potty trained" by about 6 months old.

Babies wear split pants like this even in the winter; they're cute butterballs running around with layers and layers of clothes, but their little butts and penises etc. are hanging out there in the cold. I bet graduating to underwear feels good!

You can imagine what our Chinese students think when we forget and shush them in class using the "sshhhhh...." sound. I've tried to train myself from doing it, but I still slip sometimes.

7 comments:

  1. I find this just so amazing. I wish I had thought of it...all those wasted diapers. The $$ and the landfill is better off this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about this before. I wonder if, when they become adults, they hear "shhhhhh" and have to work hard at holding it!

    BTW- I want to steal the baby in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cute little baby bums.
    Wow, that is crazy, though. JJ is almost 4 and he still won't poop in the potty. I can't imagine having a 6 month old who is potty trained. That would be so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing..think it would work on my cat? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so brilliant! I'm all for cloth diapers though but plastic ones? A shame to our society, so much landfill waste.

    Thumbs up for split pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oohhh I have a cat too ... we keep saying we should train him to use the toilet!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, now thats a culture shock. Thats really bizare to think about, but I guess it works huh?

    ReplyDelete