Saturday, October 17, 2009

5 Things I’ll Miss About Living in China

1. Being able to walk the streets at all hours of night without worrying about crime. There IS crime here, but it’s mostly petty theft. No guns and no weapons in general means a safer walking environment.  I fully support our constitutional right to bear arms, but coming home at 4 AM, it is nice not to have to worry about someone attacking, mugging or shooting you.

2. Being able to end a conversation you don’t want to have by saying, “I’m sorry, I don’t understand you.”

3. Prescription medications sold as over-the-counter.

4. Tea at every meal.

5. Not having to hear about all kinds of people famous for being alive and/or doing stupid things. There is no Chinese equivalent of the Gosselins, for example. I keep track of American culture, and I am increasingly disgusted by what passes for “news.”

Coming soon: 5 things I WON’T miss.

4 comments:

  1. Agree on all counts.

    Except I'd rather be here than there.

    Squatty Potties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good stuff. I am in love with the NO crime issue. My biggest fear is being killed over my ring or purse.
    #2. Awesome.
    #3. Sweet.
    #4 YES!!!
    #5 So needed here too....geeze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 sounds good enough reason to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is a great post!! Love it. Amazing that you feel safe at 4am, what a gift.

    ReplyDelete