Monday, October 19, 2009

Shake Shack

I was just asleep, but now awake due to my shaking bed: a  mild earthquake, which probably wouldn't be felt in a building with Western construction standards, but is very noticeable here. And the shaking itself doesn't freak me out, but these things do:

1. No fire escapes in Chinese apartment buildings.
2. My front door opens onto an outside balcony, not a secure hallway.
3. I'm on the 4th floor.
4. The past few days, and I am not making this up, I've been thinking about earthquakes and what I would do if there were another big one here. It's been a year and a half since the big earthquake hit this area, the likelihood of another big one isn't high, but still...am I paranoid or psychic? (The answer is: paranoid. I hope.)

UPDATE: I checked the USGS website this morning and yes, there was a minor earthquake last night centered about 200 miles from where I live.

You know how it's hard to sleep after an adrenaline rush? Yeah. So because I'm awake, here's a funny picture Tristan took on our day in the village:



Is it just me, or is that a really awkward way to hold a cup? Why am I twisting my wrist like that? I have no idea.

*Shake Shack is of course the awesome hamburger shop in NYC.

4 comments:

  1. I also hope you are paranoid. But this would worry me too...glad you are thinking of an escape route.
    Yes, awkward cup holding...not sure how you could do it differently though. :)
    Take care, Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earthquakes are freaking horrible. Do you have an escape plan should anything happen?

    Better to be safe than sorry... when do you finish your tour there again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're just paranoid. I'm sort of a nut about planning escape routes it's sort of my secret obsession. One time in my GRE study course I started panicking because there was only one way out of the classroom. It was weird.

    I love that picture! (PS I'm posting pics from my recent trip, just like you asked.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that is scary. I just moved to CA and realized we dont have an evacuation plan, but yours seems much more dangerous...what to do?

    ReplyDelete