Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chinglish Notebooks, Plus Time and Happiness

I love the notebooks in China. I don't know why, but almost all of them have some kind of Chinglish phrase on the cover. Here are a few I saw in a school supply shop near my campus:

I love the 'My baby grows up in this way' tagline:



For when you need to announce your life strategy: 'I never really try to be positive.'



Nothing says 'Season's Greeting' like a stack of folded towels. Btw, a candle that close to the towels is a fire hazard.



'Goes the sound which the balcony listens to spend.' HUH?



No really, I love these. But this one is still my all time favorite:



In other news, I have to go out of town to this weekend for a medical test. I have two spots on my back that keep scabbing over and won't heal, so I have to get them checked out. Sunshine, I love you so much, why do you hurt me like this?

And in still further news, I only have 9 months left in China. 9 months! Where has the time gone? I feel like I have survived a lot the past few years: my dad's cancer and death, the guy who crushed me, and just the experience of living here in China. I almost feel like because I survived these things so close together, and can still smile, I can survive anything. (I don't want to test that theory, though!) I hope the next few years bring more joy than sorrow. Pretty please, with sugar on top?

12 comments:

  1. Oh I also wish your joy (and healthy sunshine!!)

    Love those notebooks. You could import err? export? those to Canada. They would be a hit! (actually, maybe not the Seasons Greetings lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca,

    Keep me posted on your spots...that's worrisome and now I'm concerned my friend.

    Thinking positive thoughts for you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm dying to know what the last one (the proud princesses one) was on. Some product?

    Good luck with the spots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you always crack me up. I love your perspective on life.
    Keep us posted on the dr. visit.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sun too, but it is not our friend. :( I hope all goes well with your medical tests.

    Those notebooks make NO sense to me at all...so weird.

    I congratulate you for surviving and still smiling. I feel the same way about my life in general..I have been able to survive many dramatic turns and still keep on trucking.
    take care, suz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have lots of joy too. No matter what happens though, I know that you'll be OK because you are exceedingly smart and you know that, however bad life can get, as long as Goes the sound which the balcony listens to spend then you'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is smiling on you right this instant my dear, with all its joys and sorrows: you are healthy, young, beautiful, intelligent, loved, employed and alive :)

    (that last notebook thingie? BRILLIANT!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you a lot of happy times to come. Amazing...all the things you've gone through while living in China, of all places!

    Cute notebooks, btw, even if I don't fully understand all the quotes.

    Good luck with those medical tests!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 9 months...wow, you feel it coming huh? I think your departure from the states helped you think and heal - dont you? I hope your scabbing wonders turn out to be nothing, but keep us posted. Hubby is going Friday for a similar check-up...all over his back...

    Oh, and those babies on the notebook are kinda cute..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you guys for the good wishes about the sores. Worst case scenario, they'll just cut the bad tissue out, so I'm not concerned at all. I'll let you know, I'm sure everything's fine. They have to cover their bases.

    Tanya, it was also a notebook. I bought one for Mishka and brought it to her when I visited.

    Glad you all like the notebooks, too, I'd send you all some if I could!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the sores are nothing and the nine remaining months are everything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Speaking of Chinglish...I have no idea what meeting led to the creation of this sign:

    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=474241&stc=1&d=1256262554

    ReplyDelete