Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Eight Things That Have Happened Since Leaving America

1. Just like I’ve heard happens with the pain of childbirth, I’d blocked out just how bad the air is here. When I landed in Chongqing, I couldn’t see the ground until we were right on it. It looked like Oklahoma during the Dustbowl. The locals call it ‘fog.’ I can’t figure out if that’s a mistranslation or wishful thinking.

2. But anyway, I’m home! It just feels good to be back in my own apartment, walking these familiar streets, back into my routine of veggie market, fruit market, bus rides to visit friends, crowded sidewalks to navigate, and of course, the really delicious, spicy street food. Yum. I start classes next week.

3. From Beijing to LAX I had the best spot on the airplane that is not first class: last row in the front section of the plane before the exit, aisle seat, right next to the bathroom. Lots of space, no one kicking my seat, and easy access to the bathroom, perfect! (I always request an aisle seat.) On the way from LAX to Beijing, I got stuck clear in the back, next to the window. Ugh. It was the worst. So glad to be off of that plane. What about you, are you a window or aisle person?

4. At LAX, I got racially profiled, in a good way; a TSA agent had a Spanish man talking to her in rapid Spanish (is there any other kind, really?) and she looked over at me and said, “Hey, can you translate for me?” I thought, YES, I still look Spanish! And no, sorry, I can’t. (I probably could have, but I knew she could find someone who definitely could have.) In China, I’m just an American; I miss the rest of my identity.

5. In the gate area for my plane from Beijing to CQ, I was the only foreigner, and this kid started at me for a full three minutes. (And by kid, I mean 18 years old or so.) Ah, I’m back to being a foreigner in Western China. On that plane I was also in the back, but on an empty row next to the bathroom. This girl came back to use the bathroom but it must have been her first time on a plane because she couldn’t figure out how to open the door. I asked her in Chinese, “Did you want the bathroom?” and pushed open the door for her. She was so shocked. I’ll never get over being shocked at how shocked the Chinese are that I can speak (some) of their language. It’s not Vulcan, after all.

6. Last night I managed to stay awake for three hours in a row (jetlag, you win) and went to a restaurant/bar with friends to celebrate our friend Elena’s birthday. The bar had tater tots! So random. We were sooo happy to have tots, though, it was like we won the tot lottery.  This is what I love about China: small things make us so happy. Btw, Elena is from Palermo, Sicily, and was here for 6 months studying Chinese law. She invited me to come visit her in Palermo. Um, YES.

7. I was watching the video for “Empire State of Mind” today and tried to imagine a song called “Shanghai State of Mind.” Nope, can’t picture it. NYC is not as developed as Shanghai, but it’s got a special something these other big cities don’t. (And no, it’s not as developed, but more about that later.) I downloaded the video to show my students, they are going to love it.

8. Every day I was in America, I ate corn tortillas with melted cheese and Frank’s Red Hot Sauce for breakfast. I miss them.

14 comments:

  1. To answer your question, window, preferably over the wing, I need to hear the engines (as the daughter of an aircraft technician and a plane crash-o-phile - if you can call it that - I don't think I really need to explain that).

    My friend over in UK and her hubby pick the same seats as yourself. the two at the very back. Funny second time in a few months I'm hearing that!

    And your breakfast in America sounds yummers. End of.

    Welcome back to temporary home???

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband always requests the bulkhead seats or emergency exit seats. More leg room. It makes no difference to me...short legs. :0

    You are so funny...I laughed through this. Racially profiled? Only you would be happy about that.

    So, when are you going to learn Vulcan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3- I am an aisle person because of the easy access out and in. I have status with United so sometimes I fly with nobody else in my row. That is the best. Option.

    4 – just for kicks you should have replied in Chinese and when the agent appeared confused said in broken English ‘me from China’.

    7 – I’d like to know how NYC is not as developed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an aisle girl all the way. I will even pay extra so I can get my seat asigned before I get to the airport. Not the best flyer here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the part about the tater tots. Did you save some in your pocket for later like Napoleon Dynamite??

    Glad you got back safely. I was thinking a lot about Bob yesterday. See ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a window person. Always have been. I like to feel all cozy or something. I hate being in the center in the middle...ugh.

    Palermo....nice! Can I come too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yey! Rebecca's baaaaack, my aisle-person buddy :-D

    Not just any aisle, the left one so I can unsnap my bum knew every few minutes or so. Makes for great tripping.

    Just a few months left on your tour of duty... after visiting Italy (!), what are your plans?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a window person. I don't like to be disturbed with other people getting in and out. It is also easier to sleep that way.

    So glad you are back safe and sound. I like yrautca's response to your racial profiling. That would have been awesome.

    MMMM, tater tots!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you got there safely! If I had to choose... aisle. But honestly, too fat to enjoy ANY seat on an airplane! HAHAHAHA J/K kind of...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are back safe and sound. I think the profiling thing is funny. Sorry about the 'fog' because it just doesnt sound happy - but I am glad you are happy to be back and got some good food after such a long flight back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. >I’d like to know how NYC is not
    >as developed.

    I can fully believe it.

    Imagine if Robert Moses in person and spirit had not been pushed out in the mid-1960s and replaced with an endless parade of environmentalists, preservationists, perfectionists, and the lawyers who make serving their obstructionist impulses a perpetual and lucrative industry.

    There is a middle ground between damn-the-torpedoes-full-steam-ahead China of today, and us looking at a hole in the ground on one side and a condemned building but still not torn down building on the other...nine years later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marianne, I wish! But we ate them all really fast, no leftovers. But we did mention NP, haha.

    Thanks everyone, it's good to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am terrified of flying, but I have flown. Truthfully, I'm not sure which I prefer, I suppose an asile because then I dont feel as trapped in, if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete