Tuesday, March 9, 2010

By The Time We Got There, It Was Dinner At Tiffany’s*.

There is a phenomenon of giving directions in China that I still don’t understand: people will only give you directions to the next block. For example, “Go straight ‘til the next intersection, then turn left.” Now, you as a Westerner might think that means that after you turn left, you’ll be there. Oh no, my friend. This is just the beginning. If you don’t see what you’re looking for after you turn left, you ask someone else, and get the next set of directions. You will keep doing this, block after block, until you arrive at your destination.

This happened to V. and I when we were in Chengdu for training. I needed to get to Tiffany & Co.* to get some jewelry cleaned, and he came with me. I didn’t know where Tiffany was exactly, but I figured it was downtown near the other big shops. Turns out it was in a new shopping plaza built a little zig-zaggy ways away from where we were. It took four sets of directions to get us there. Yup, that’s about right.

Also, be aware: you will always get some directions, even if that person has no idea where you should be going. Saying, “I don’t know” is a loss of ‘face’ in Chinese culture, so even if they have no idea, they’ll still give you directions. The next set of directions might send you in a totally different direction. It means one of those people has no idea. Have fun deciding which one!

By the by, there was a Victoria’s Secret near the Tiffany, the first one I’ve seen here. Bras were over a hundred USD, and even those cheap little $5 dollar thongs were the equivilant of $60 USD. Say wha? It’s like they’re trying to turn Victoria’s Secret over here into an Agent Provocateur or La Perla equivalent. Ridiculous.

After our luxury adventures, V. and I stopped for dinner at a “Western” style chain restaurant out of Taiwan. Here’s a picture of what our meal came out like:

01192010205

Yes, that is fried chicken steak (w/ pepper sauce), spaghetti w/ peas and a fried egg, all on the same plate. So don’t feel bad when American Chinese food is nothing like what you get in China; they get it wrong, too.

*This is a brand new Tiffany & Co. store, the first in this region of China. Also, why is the name in the novella/movie possessive? I’ve never noticed before that that is weird. But it is.

15 comments:

  1. The founder of Tiffany & Company grew up in my town - his father owned a cotton mill, and as was customary in the day the housing and general store that went with it.

    Charles Tiffany worked in the store from the age of 15, until he took a $1,000 loan from his father to go to New York to open his own store.

    As to why its possessive, it's Tiffany's store.

    Same way its Macy's.

    That star in their modern logo is an apostrophe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh for the love of Pete, please tell me in an explanation about possessives to a linguist I didn't just type it's...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, ok, it's Tiffany's store, but isn't that kinda dumb to put in writing in a movie title? Sorta redundant? I know we add the 's to lots of stuff in oral English, but adding it in writing looks weird to me. At least 'Macy's' is their official name.

    I don't know, unless Tiffany adds the 's to its store titles, I say, leave it off the movie title. But I guess I'm a few decades late for this argument...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was R.H. Macy & Company up until very recently :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt is too smart. :0
    It seems that everyday is an adventure for you.
    That meal is so strange to me...is that gravy on the spaghetti? yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, gravy. And it was disgusting. I think we got a street snack after this 'meal.' I felt jealous V. is a smoker and could get the taste out of his mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That food really does look awful. The sauce is too much, especially that it is GRAVY???? I would have gotten a snack too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny. I wonder whether they have GPS there. That meal could pass for French food seeing that there is an egg yolk in all the weird places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to give directions the same way when I was in DC. =) Now I give directions according to minutes and landmarks. I would be lost without my GPS.

    That meal doesn't look appetizing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. >YOU KNOW TOO MANY THINGS.

    A regular Cliff Claven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the most bizarre combination of food I've seen on one plate! It's like they couldn't decide on whether to serve you breakfast or dinner! lol

    Spanish people are the same way, especially the males, they will never say "I don't know" about ANYTHING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um.... the spaghetti has only two peas. And they look like eyes. Like your speghetti is watching you eat everything else on the plate. Did they put both a chicken and it's egg on your plate? Isn't that a little redundant. I guess it's not wasteful (unless you meant chicken-fried steak).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaaaahahhahaha! OMG I choked on my wine when I saw your "dinner", still can't stop laughing! Those two lonely peas atop soggy noodles, next to a plain eggs and what looks like poop... LOL LOL!

    Can't say the chinese don't have a sense of humor ;-)

    As for directions, are they all given by men? :-D

    ReplyDelete