Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Shell Shock, Eyeballs, and the Shopping Cart Conundrum

1. I made it back to the U.S. with no problems or delays, all luggage in hand. It is miraculous we can fly halfway around the world in less then two days. I am really grateful for my smooth sailing trip.

2. Being home...has been an adjustment. I feel a little shell-shocked by everything around me. It'll pass, but I've spent some time trying to absorb this lifestyle again. I'm really critical of some of the things I see around me, and I didn't expect that. I'll talk more about this later.

3. I've already experienced some fish-out-of-water moments: I accidentally spoke to someone in Chinese at the Los Angeles airport. I went to the grocery store in the middle of the night (hello, jetlag!) and when I was done checking out, I couldn't remember what to do with my cart. Do I return it to the front of the store? Leave it at the cashier's station? I honestly could not remember. And there was no one else around for me to look at as an example. I took it back to the front of the store, just in case. (In China, you leave them at the cashier's station, because it is someone's assigned job to collect the carts.)

4. I wore my contacts on the plane. I didn't think it would be a big deal, and I took them out overnight, but on the last leg of my flight my eyes had had enough. I underestimated how dry airplane air is and when I took out the contact from my right eye, it pulled a little bit off skin with it. My vision is really blurry now in this eye, and it's getting a little better everyday, but slower recovery than I am comfortable with. So I am breaking down and calling our doctor about it. I hope it's just temporary and the eye will heal itself. If not, there are always contacts and glasses, no biggie. But I'm never wearing contacts on an airplane again! So I have been staying off the computer in order to give my eyes some rest.

I'm doing better on the jetlag, but I caught a cold. All these strange germs! So it's been hard to stay awake these past few days.  But I am in fact very happy to be with my family and friends, and I leave soon to visit my grandma. I'm really looking forward to seeing my extended family.

9 comments:

  1. I'm really glad that you made it home safely! I hope your eye heals quickly and is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you made it home safe...now about your poor eye, gosh, I hope it heals soon.
    Enjoy the visit...I hope Grandma is well.
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how you've adapted so well to the Chinese culture that you find yourself questioning the way certain things are done here. I wonder what you're feeling critical about...maybe the lack of respect/consideration(?).

    Enjoy visiting your grandma and the rest of your family, and I hope you feel better soon!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mandy and BBS, I am sure everything will be fine. I just might need some healing drops or an eye patch or something so I don't make it worse. Arghh matey, I'll be a pirate!

    Ily, it is interesting to me too, and unexpected. I think it shows how adaptable we are as people, that this kind of thing happens. Which is kind of awesome, really. I will definitely write more about it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had smooth flights! Hope your eyeb heals up real quick:) The body really does have an amazing power to heal itself.
    Enjoy your visit with Granny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yey! Rebecca lives! :-D

    I was hoping you'd get back here (um, north amerrrrica) in one piece, ok minus a bit of eyeball but don't those grow back? I sure hope so!

    You'll adapt back to this life in a few days, do indulge in everything you've missed and I hope it's all as great as you remembered.

    Hugs to your grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WELCOME BACK TO THE US REBECCA!!! I am happy you made it back safely, luggage and all! No worries about the little things you do in betwixt the country you just left and this one you are in now. It will all come back to you second nature in no time. Give it a little more time, you just got back (hugs)! Get some rest. SO happy you made it safely back! *big cheesy grin* !!

    oh, and about the eye thing - that's kinda scary..careful girl. You only get 2!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back. Sounds like you are having some trouble adjusting to the US society. Understandable. How long are you here for?

    I bet next time you go to a Chinese restaurnat here you'd be like, this is so not Chinese food. They have a huge China Town in Chicago where everything looks authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks guys, and you're right about the eye, it does have incredible power to heal itself. I noticed a big improvement today when I woke up. Our bodies are amazing.

    Yrautca, I want to try Chinese food in a Chinatown, I bet it's better than a neighborhood joint. Western food in China isn't too authentic, so I try to cut them some slack here. It's tough to replicate anything exactly when so many local ingredients are used. I brought home a bunch of spices to cook some Chongqing food for my family, though.

    I'm here for three weeks.

    ReplyDelete