Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Junk Food, Plus My Fantasy Makeover

I started packing to go back home, and here’s what it looks like so far:

Luggagejunkfood

I left most of my clothes in China, so I don’t have a lot to take back. So hey, why not candy, pretzels, bacon bits and pudding? Underneath all the candy etc. there are jars of salsa, jalapenos and hot sauce wrapped in bubble wrap tucked inside Ziploc bags.

--------------------------------

So, completely changing gears, here are the deep thoughts of my late night mind: you know that moment at the end of the movie when the slightly awkward girl gets a makeover and wows everyone away?  And then sometimes, she turns around and walks away, leaving That Boy who didn’t like her enough for who she is in her high-heeled dust?

I love that moment.

(Watch from about 7:45 in this video for a great example.)

It’s not politically correct to love that moment, but deep down, I still have my own little fantasy makeover moment, where That Guy I just wasn’t girlfriend material enough for realizes how girlfriend-material I really am, as externalized by my new awesome haircut, jewelry, tight pants and sexy shoes*, and will for the rest of his life remember me as the one who got away.

It’s immature, narcissistic, and petty. I know. I blame my repeat viewings of this part of Grease as a child.  Just call me PopCulture Victim Rebecca.

*ACDC’s Shook Me All Night Long will be the song that starts playing spontaneously in the background.

8 comments:

  1. So funny. When I was reading about your fantasy moment, I immediately thought of that moment in Grease. Didn't we all want to be Sandy then????
    AC/DC rocks.
    I love your packing...you have your priorities straight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, your pack job is awesome. Politically correct or not, I too wish for that moment sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donno how old Big Bird is but the scene is strangely erotic. Getting rejected in 15 languages is every masochist's wet dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I forgot to add that I could live in your suitcase for, say, a week or so. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He he. I live for these moments!

    Love "what not to wear" and those kinds of shows, too - unveiling potential is what it's all about :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. and that's exactly why when I go to the UK I take a smaller suitcase inside the big one and then have 2 full (read: too heavy to carry) ones to bring back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your suitcases and I could be good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny... Looks good! Good luck with everything. Glad I got to see you!!

    ReplyDelete