Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Our Relationship With Food

I mentioned yesterday being critical about some aspects of American culture, and honestly, all of them are about food.

Americans have a reputation in China for being extremely friendly, nice and helpful, and I definitely noticed these qualities as I returned. It’s not that the Chinese don’t have these qualities, but they are usually reserved in the public sphere for people you are friendly with or who can help you in some way; it’s not necessary to be friendly to strangers. From the Customs agent to the guy selling me my Diet Coke at the local gas station, I am constantly reminded of this aspect of American culture that I really appreciate.

But advertisements for food, and the process of eating out, have really disappointed me. Disclaimer: I haven’t seen any American advertising in a year, so suddenly being bombarded with it perhaps causes a heightened reaction to it.

Here is my overall concern: why do we spend so much time and effort trying to make unhealthy food ‘healthy’? Chips and cookies and flavored drinks are not healthy, but it seems from the advertising that these companies are trying to market them as healthy options. Well, why? Isn’t it better to eat in a healthy way by eating fresh fruits, veggies*, whole grains and other non-overly processed foods, and save the bad stuff as an occasional treat? Junk food isn’t bad, but I think it’s important to acknowledge that it IS junk, and should be eaten sparingly and as a treat. This is all just my humble opinion, of course. But I find myself looking at these print and tv advertisements trying to convince me otherwise with a very critical eye. And the magazine ad about changing the shapes of chips so you can get every last drop out of the bowl? Really? We need this??

And I am surprised by the sheer number of commercials telling me how fat I am, but with their product, I can be sexy again. Now, in China I am in fact fat because I am about 60 lbs heavier than the average Chinese woman. It’s been a hard thing to deal with there, but at least I wasn’t being bombarded by television commercials telling me how unsexy I am! Phooey on you, tv commercials. I don’t like you AT ALL.

It seems I have also adapted to the Chinese way of eating, which is fresh food prepared at the time you order and small servings of a lot of different flavors and textures instead of a big plate of one or two things. It’s just not that exciting to me anymore to take 20 bites of the exact same thing. And honestly, it tastes processed and chemic-ly. Which is kind of sad to me, because man, I love me some Chili’s boneless buffalo wings! Or, I used to. It just doesn’t taste like real food anymore.

However, I am so happy to be eating greek yogurt again! I’ve really missed it. And the first thing I ate after coming home was an avocado with cubes of pepper jack cheese, and that was just heaven in my mouth. (I’ve eaten 5 avocados in the last five days, and I have no regrets.) And don’t even get me started on salsa and hot sauce….I’d bathe in it if that were acceptable.

We have awesome, delicious foods here. I just wish we had a better relationship with food so we could focus on the tastes and quality and what it can do for the true health of our bodies, and not how sexy or pseudo-healthy it will make us.

*I do see one problem here: we ship our fruits and veggies and so they are often lacking in flavor because they are picked early to avoid spoiling in transit. Chinese veggies might have poo all over them, but they taste a lot better because they come from a few miles away, not a few thousand miles away, and have time to ripen naturally.

9 comments:

  1. I agree with you, junk food is junk food. I feel ill sometimes in the grocery store seeing all the crap...and seeing people buying it!!!! This is why we are an obese nation with the highest rate of diabetes as well.
    I just started liking avacado..my Grandma has/has a huge tree in her back yard and I never wanted to eat them! The week before she died, she convinced me to try some and I loved it!!!!
    Well, you knew you would be shell shocked coming back..hope you are enjoying your family. And your salsa bath too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true on all aspects. I never thought of you being bombarded by all the advertisements upon your return. I have just within the past year really started to enjoy avocado, its quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, salsa!! I really do agree that American's lack nutrition in so many aspects of their lives. It's like a priviledge (?sp) to eat as much junk food as you can, because we are free Americans. I think it should be seen differently, we are free, so choose wisely. We do have choice.
    As for the body image, that has been around for ages, and it is sickening!! I can only imagine what people think of Americans when they visit and watch our infomercials about how fat we are, and the fast and easy way out of being fat. Take the easy road, don't work for it, pop a pill. Ugh, okay, I have said enough, it really is a true problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...looks like you like China better now.

    I was at Whole Foods and tried out the Greek Yogurt and it was pretty good. I had some with honey. Avocado with pepperjack sounds great. I'll have to try. If you are in Chicago give me a holler.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're absolutely right about the food.

    And I'm a fat guy (you're not fat, I'm *fat*) who has a diet that ranges from organic homegrown to the worse McD's can dredge up.

    I'm a big believer in reasonable compromise -- I like it that we can get fresh, if unripe and plastic like, vegetables from California and Florida in January. But we also need to encourage local farmers in season, and think ahead what we can freeze from locals.

    There is also something about a lot of our industrial food that's designed to trigger brain cravings. Add to that my own obsessive personality quirks (I compulsively clean my plate unless I truly don't like something).

    Indeed today when I was at WalMart I picked up a couple bags of Santita tortilla chips -- Frito Lay's cheap line. They don't sell them at the supermarket I usually shop.

    For whatever reason, I can actually eat a reasonable amount of Santitas and not crave more. Tositos? Crave em. Almost all chips? Crave em. Santitas? Love the taste, don't obsessively eat them. Obviously there's something different in the mix of chemicals they use, I don't have a clue what.

    One day my 30 year old tiny fridge will die and I'll be able to justify a new fridge with a big freezer. I'll like that because I can make more of my own soups to freeze. Nice thing with homemade soup is it's easy to portion control...I just grab a frozen container leaving for work.

    And one final babble to share. One of my sisters used to have a huge garden, but it was on an adjacent lot they didn't own. When it was finally developed, they gave up gardening.

    My 16 year old nephew had never tasted store bought veggies -- he had always eaten from the garden or what they canned / froze. It was a huge problem because he couldn't stand the taste of store bought stuff having never been expose to it, he literally just started refusing to eat his veggies at 16.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Due to the high blood pressure that heredity has deposited with me (yey?), I make a huge effort to eat well, and not buy anything from the *center* of the grocery store, in fact, I usually visit the butcher and the fresh produce stores and only hit the grocery store when I need things like yogurt or ingredients for something I'm making (I have a preference for frozen spinach instead of fresh when I cook something due to texture...don't ask, I'm weird).

    The health benefits have been amazing from a lowering of my blood pressure to a loss of weight.

    Personal trainer I had a bit ago advised to always purchase food in it's rawest form and prepare it myself, best advice I've ever been given....

    Wish the US (and Canada to an extent, we catch up a few years after you guys) would pick up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it pretty much boils down to Who Profits... there's alot of money to be made selling cheap junk food and competition is fierce for market segments, hence all the publicity and whatnot.. They keep reinventing the wheel in hopes of getting more consumer dollars.

    People don't want what they don't know exists but when it's shoved in your face day in, day out, you assume it's normal.

    I still get a shock every time I eat at a US restaurant, one portion could feed me for two days - what a giant waste of (for the most part) bad food.

    Yep, it stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love avocados too! Okay - again, welcome back to America...and I see the commericals welcome you back too..LOL. Its all about the bottom line and the mighty dollar that drives all of these commercials to sell everything from that which is not even true to that which is but is super expensive. Hubby turns the channel at EVERY commercial. He refused to watch them...even previews of the next episode are forbidden in our house. Oh and about the veges - you gotta find yourself a farmers market. Perhaps the veges there are better. I try to buy mine there because they are supposed to be picked fresh each week...or they get picked over and the market I go to has a lot of competition. Anyway. I dont know what Greek yogurt is, but all of a sudden I have to try some with a gyro - I sure am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make me want to visit China...just for the food!

    Your post is thought-provoking because honestly we are so bombarded with all kinds of unhealthy adds we're desensitized to them. Kind of sad, actually.

    I bet the smiles and hellos you get when you enter stores and restaurants seem phony to you now. I prefer polite to impolite and friendliness to rudeness, but sometimes folks can take the "service with a smile" thing too far.

    Seriously, I'd be curious to see what it's like in China. You make it sound so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete