Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Training, And The Sweetness Of Kleenex

(I found internet access so I can post by email, but sorry, I can't see anyone else's blogs or make comments. I will have a lot of catching up to do!)

My week of training is going very well so far. I spend half the day in Chinese class, and the other half listening to guest speakers and completing activities. So far we have had the NPR Beijing correspondent come speak to us (really interesting!) and now we have reps from the State Department who specialize in education here doing some training with us. It's like being back in grad school, and I am eating it up. And we are all here in a hotel together, so there are lots of fun times eating and playing together after the work is done. Overall, a great way to spend the week!

I complained before about Spiderman Syndrome, so I feel I should also share this small anecdote: V. and I were watching Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon earlier this week in his hotel room. Near the end of the movie, he got up and put a little travel pack of tissues in his pocket, then came back to his spot. Well, if you've seen this movie, you know the end is heart-wrenching! Sure enough, a few minutes later, I start with the sniffling and the watery eyes. V. silently pulled the pack out of his pocket and handed me a tissue. It was very sweet. I think we had talked before about how I cry every time I watch this movie, and he remembered. He is such a gentleman, and I really appreciate all the men out there like him who are caring and kind. Thanks, guys, you make life a little bit sweeter.

Hope you all are having a great week!  Tomorrow my director's niece who lives in this city is coming to meet me for lunch. I'm excited to see her again and introduce her to my friends.

I'll be here for a few more days; the time is flying by!

7 comments:

  1. It's great that you guys get this sort of training, so very helpful, being far away from home etc, it probably also gives you a little bit of home while you're away!

    V sounds sweet btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are enjoying training and the boy remembering you cry when watching the movie and having tissues on hand? Very sweet. A nice reminder that there are very good men out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds like a fun time for you...a change of pace. I adore sweet guys who listen, they make up for the not so great ones.
    I love the t-shirts you made, they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that movie too. Well written indeed. Hope you are having fun and thanks for posting while away. (The Blog calls to you huh?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It' nice to know training costs are being cut(saved). I Don't know about the trainers classes and how many they can teach, but NPR speakers, etc. probably help.

    Emmett Decoui

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope its all going well for you over there. You keep having these amazing experiences week after week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear the time is flying by because it means you are truly enjoying yourself. Hope you had a fun lunch with your director's niece...and I really love how your guy friend brought tissues for you at the end of the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete