Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Anxiety, and Being Honest With Yourself

This is difficult for me to write.

(My dad, before he died, was very open to sharing with others the lessons he learned from having cancer. He wanted people to not to feel alone. He was also a very good listener, and encouraged people to share with him things they didn't feel anyone else would understand. I'm trying to follow his example.)

Anxiety is a problem for me. From stories my mom told me about my childhood, it's something I've probably always had. I've struggled with it as long as I can remember, but I thought everyone did.

Some things that cause anxiety are easily forgotten. Anxiety sometimes resulted in achievement, due to panic, so I haven't always recognized it as a problem. Some things that cause anxiety are long-term, and not easily forgotten.

In the past, I've dealt with anxiety through medicine and self-medicating, not by addressing the anxiety itself. I don't think this is uncommon.

Just prior to arriving in China, I had an experience with another person that caused me a great deal of anxiety, both at the time and afterward. I self-medicated and used a lot of denial to try to deal with it.  All of our continued contact made me anxious, both because of the past experience and the way things were between us now. The only way I knew to relieve myself of the overwhelming, at times unbearable, anxiety I felt was to stop contact. (I could not have articulated at that time, though, that I was feeling abnormal levels of anxiety. All I knew was how painful any thought or contact with him was.) I met someone here I trusted and confided in, and they recognized that the high levels of anxiety I experience are not healthy or normal and encouraged me to seek healthy ways to deal with anxiety. It has been a long and painful road, and it's not over yet, but I've been getting help with this. No more self-medication. No more denial. Instead, mental strategies and solutions, and ultimately, the confidence, to deal with it.

The most difficult thing was admitting I had anxiety I didn't know how to deal with. And have had for a very long time. I got really good at hiding it from others. I always thought of myself as very capable, so admitting it was like admitting a personal failing. But now I realize, it's an opportunity to be a stronger person. I still have moments of intense anxiety; I don't think those will ever go away. But I am learning to manage it in healthy ways, and making progress.

There is no shame in seeking help if you don't feel like you can deal with the things that happen to you. Whatever skills are missing, you can find and make a part of your life. I can't change the past, but I can have control of my future. I hope you know you can, too.

-----

Thinking and praying for the people of Haiti today. Wish there were a way for me to go help. Another tragedy, it's not fair some people suffer so much.

11 comments:

  1. I am charmed with your blog -
    I invite you to view my: http://www.devaneiosdevida.blogspot.com/In it you will know a l small country, very old but with good people, good food and beautiful landscapes: Portugal. I write and I speak a little English, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese-This one interesting for language learning, but you can make comments in English
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Rebecca. I have been noticing a pattern in my life where I have a hard time setting boundaries with people. Instead of letting them know how I feel, I either just cut them out of my life, or let my resentment build to the point of boiling-over and then I end up burning bridges. Both bad options. I've been reading a book called Boundaries which has really helped me.
    Good luck working on your anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur about Haiti...seems some people suffer just too much.

    As humans we are very complex creatures (although I say men are simple, they really are not THAT simple) It is great that you are learning so much about yourself, how to deal with your issues as well. Some people, never learn about who they really are..or how to deal with WHO they really are.
    I applaud you for this.
    Thank you for sharing...I have leaned so much lately about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all your dad sounds like he was an amazing man!

    Secondly, I've dealt with anxiety issues myself so thank you for talking about it and for encouraging people.

    Re Haiti: I posted this on facebook today and will probably get around to putting it on my blog today, but if anyone is looking for places to donate, this is a great link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34835478/ns/world_news-haiti_earthquake/?ns=world_news-americas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to you for putting that out there. That's hard and you're so brave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great post. One of my closest friends struggles each and every day with anxiety. She is learning how to cope, and you are so right, it can be done!
    Yeah you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. R-thank you for sharing your inner most feelings and thoughts. I know for certain you are not alone in your struggle with anxiety..It is what we learn from our past (and the past of others) that we can grow. Continue to grow strong and without fear or worry. Life is yours for the taking - Carpe Deum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a touching post, and I love the paragraph about your dad. I can understand that type of thinking because I feel if something we say can help someone else (even if it's painful or a little embarrassing) it's worth sharing our experiences. Relationships are what life is all about.

    I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety and what you've had to do to deal with it, but I applaud you for sharing what you've learned and taking control of your future

    You go, chica!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharing = wealth, knowledge and happiness through kinship.

    Good post, am happy you stepped out of your comfort zone to share.

    (( hugs ))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kindness, understanding and words of support. I hope maybe someone will read it that needs support, and feel like they are not alone.

    There is no shame in having shortcomings, after all. But it still can be hard to talk about.

    There are different kinds of anxiety. I experience general anxiety, not social or OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you! I have just been catching up with blogs tonight and read this.
    You are so friggin' amazing, you hear me?!?! Not only are you completely fabulous, but then you go and lift us all up by helping us to understand a side of you that many can relate to. sheesh! You should be a writer. What are you going to do anyway when you get back home? Hurry up already! (Although I think SA will be boring after China.) :) love you!!!

    ReplyDelete