Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Flushing, Queens (Again) + The Gift Of Options

I'm getting to that point in my service where people are asking me what I'm going to do when I get home. For those that don't know, before coming into Peace Corps, I had a real life adult business job, a real life adult apartment full of real-life furniture, a car, etc. I still have the car, and the furniture (thanks mom for your storage help!), so it's time to decide about the job. (I've done my Masters but at least at this time, I'm not going to do a PhD. Maybe in a few years, we'll see.) My goal is to be an ESL teacher, either corporate or government.

I've narrowed down the cities where I'll be job-searching, and I have thrown NYC into the ring. I always thought if I moved to NYC I'd live in Washington Heights, but I really do want to live in a Chinese community. So, in the near future, I'll be making a trip back to NYC for a tour around Flushing, Queens. I've never been there, and I have no idea what it's like. I just know a lot of Chinese live there. I really have to get a feel for a place to decide if that's where I want to pursue living. Who knows, maybe I will get there and realize it's all wrong for me! Which would be helpful, I can cross it right off my list. But it might be great, too. It's not trendy or cool, but for my purposes, it would be fine. And I bet I could find a really good Mandarin school there.

In February, I'll start putting out feelers and resumes and making use of connections to get my name out there.

My service is over in mid-July. I'll be flying to Shanghai to spend some time with friends at the World Expo, then continuing on to the U.S. I'm sure I'll be staying at my mom's house while I figure out how far away I'll be shipping all of my stuff.

Scary, but exciting too! I have no money, and no idea where I'm going to end up, but I have options. I'll be okay.

10 comments:

  1. The not knowing is definitely very scary. But having so many options is definitely priceless. How exciting to be pursuing that next step. I'm looking forward to reading as you embark on your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come. To. NYC. That would be awesome!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh also, have you considered Sunset Park in Brookly? One of my friends lives there so I could find out any info you need.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Park,_Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud to know you...such a smart and educated girl!!!!
    What a great opportunity for you...you can choose WHERE you want to live and work. Soooo awesome.
    Let us know what you find out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you'll be OK!

    I don't know anyone who could do what you've been doing in China, that takes chutzpah (woman balls? LOL) galore!

    You'll be fine.

    *waves from Rebecca's cheering section*

    ps: NYC isn't far from mmmmeeeeee!! yey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks guys! And I can see my blog again! I hope this doesn't go away because I said it out loud.

    Mandy, thank you, I appreciate the support.

    Little Fish, I didn't know about Sunset Park, thanks for the heads up! I'll keep it in mind...

    Kirsten, me too! Can't wait to see you next month.

    BBS, I will, and thanks for your kind words. I think you are immensely talented, so that means a lot!

    Techno, I love your way with words. I have definitely had to find my inner chutzpah to live here. And being able to go back to Montreal would be a great perk of living in NYC-- love that city!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you. I know this is going to be an emotional time for you too as you set your mind that you are leaving the familiar that took you a while to make familiar...but whatever you do, decide from your heart. And whatever city you choose, I sure hope you keep a blog for it! Oh, and by the way: San Diego is a GREAT place too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank It's Me, that is good advice, thank you. It's great to see how happy you are with the decision to relocate, gives me hope I can find the same happiness. I appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like it's not just options you have. You obviously also have people who love you, support you and want the best for you!! You pretty much rock the Kasbah, so it's no surprise!!

    ReplyDelete