Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Field Guide to Germs

Do you love reading about diseases and germs as much as I do? Then you must read the book A Field Guide to Germs, one of my favorite books. It gives a brief description of the history and symptoms of all kinds of critters we run across that can make us sick. Or dead. 
I have a morbid curiosity with what can go wrong. (I get this from my mother's side; Hispanics love a good tragedy.) I took a class called Parasites and Man when I was in college, and that was it: I was hooked. In our training here we had a class on STIs, complete with pictures of diseased wangs and hoo-hahs. It was pretty much my favorite training class we took. Better than talking about germs? Seeing pictures of germs! 
Maybe I have this morbid fascination because I think if you know what can hurt you, you can avoid it. Maybe not. But reading about the black plague and the mysterious British sweating sickness (still unindentified 600 years later) is a great way to fill a slow Sunday afternoon. 

2 comments:

  1. I read this book to my class every year..GREAT book! I haven't caught up with you in awhile. Did you know that Chase and Kylie Fly are in China (with spouses) right now? They've been teaching English. Have a Merry Christmas!
    Molly Wintrode :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny you should post this because I was just thinking the other day that I would love to take a class on major illnesses or plagues in history. I think it was because I was reading Fever 1793 to my class.
    Merry Christmas Lady! Hope you are doing well :)
    Laurie :D

    ReplyDelete