Thursday, November 4, 2010

Moving Forward

I was going to write today about China, but you know what? I realize my memories will never mean as much to other people as they do to me. And that's okay. I think if you've read my other posts, you have a good idea of what I loved, and what was difficult, about China.

Sometimes I miss China so much my heart aches. Sometimes I'm relieved to be back in America where I understand the culture (although this took several months-- reverse culture shock is a real thing). I'm feeling much more comfortable here.

Some big changes for me coming up. China did a good job preparing me for the rest of my life. It was a graduate course in flexibility, creativity, strength, courage, acceptance and doing things you never thought possible.

I read an analogy recently that made a lot of sense to me, so I want to share it: if you think of life like a river, a lot of us are preoccupied with where we are in the river: what we have materially, or relationships, what we've achieved or acquired. But really, what matters is the direction you're heading. If you are constantly trying to hold onto things that are not moving you forward, you are expending a lot of energy fighting the natural ebb and flow of life. What you hold onto isn't what supports you in your journey forward. But when you know what supports you, and you can let go of what you hold onto that isn't supporting you or moving you forward, you are more able to progress toward your life's goals and purpose.

So, I'm making a conscious effort to let go of the things that aren't moving me forward, that I am expending energy holding onto instead of being supported by. I wrote a list and I think every day a little bit about letting those things go. Some are mental, some are physical, but I am now focusing my attention on moving forward. So I'm going to keep more of those memories of China to myself, in my past, where they belong as a happy part of my life.


Ultimately, this picture is what China was all about for me: my students. I taught a lot of girls, and I hope they  know their education means something, that they have value in this world. If they believe that, I did my job. Based on the good hearts of my students, I have high hopes for the future of China.

9 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I think you are wise and know you will continue to build your way. You are a great example to me - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you keeping in contact with any of your students?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I keep in touch with them mainly via QQ, the main online chat software used in China, but also email. They're great kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this river analogy....so good to remember.
    I imagine your heart is just full of wonderful memories that you will hold forever!
    You did a great job there and those girls will really reap the benefits for life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very inspirational post, and I love the picture of your students. They look happy and relaxed and I'm sure they carry what you taught them in their hearts and in their minds. Keep up the good work, chica!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great analogy. Loved it.

    You have a great talent to integrate and assimilate and able to write about it in flowing prose. Maybe think of a job that will let you do that such as journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen sistah.

    but just for the record, i do and always will love to hear anything you have to share about your experiences in china.

    truly. it is part of who you are and i adore all of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that analogy. That's where I am in life. The river is flowing & I've been trying to hold on, and need to just let go.

    Thanks for writing that. Let the river flow as they say....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your posts... I really truly never get tired of reading about your adventures in China (and I really think you should write a book).

    Life is all about chapters. And you will always have wonderful memories of that (very special) chapter in your life - that's a beautiful thing!

    Here's a virtual toast to YOU, and to the future chapters, yet to be written in your life! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete