Monday, November 1, 2010

"The Girl" and Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap

In Chongqing there aren't many foreigners compared to other big, populated in cities in China. This led to 'Panda Syndrome': we were often treated like special pandas at the zoo. Sounds nice, but really? It's not. I learned I could never handle being famous.

One night a few of us Americans were having dinner with some Chinese students. They made a dish for us called 'hui guo rou' known in English as 'twice-cooked pork.' Someone asked what the dish was called and I answered with the correct name. The students started teasing him for not knowing the name and then one of the students said, "The girl knew what it was."  The girl? The girl teacher? The girl version of an American? The girl what? It bothered me at the time because it was a bit dehumanizing and I was fighting for every bit of my humanity, but now it's kinda funny. Of course the guys who were there started calling me The Girl. It ended one night at dinner when J. was trying to pay for our meals: "Come on, at least let me look cool in front of The Girl." I put my foot down, no more calling me The Girl! I hated that nickname. POSTCRIPT: After reading your comments, I feel like kind of a jerk for thinking this way!

Then this past summer when I went to visit T. at the teaching project, I found out after I left the students asked, "Is the girl coming back?" Sigh. So now I choose to believe this was their way of saying I was special. After all, I never heard anyone say "The Boy." Yeah, special.
____________

A product I love: Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap. I love it so much I packed a bottle to China with me. A little bit goes a long way; I had to throw it out when I came home, I didn't even use it all.  I have eczema, so I steer clear of soaps and detergents (whenever possible) that irritate my skin. I bought a small foaming handsoap pump, dumped out the soap that came with it and mixed up my own soapy mixture with Dr. Bronner's. They also sell it in bar form. The liquid version is very inexpensive because it lasts so long. $6 for two years worth of soap is quite a deal! It's a hippie soap with all kinds of kookie writing on the bottles, but it's a good product. I recommend it.

8 comments:

  1. I've had skin issues all my life, with eczema being one of the many on my list. I'm interested, where do you get Dr. Bonner's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound to me like it was used as a term of endearment:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Girl, Thanks for the soap recommendation.
    I am kidding. I am sure it was meant in a good way, how could it NOT be.
    I think I have seen this Dr. Bonner's before...maybe at Ulta?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband's allergic to peppermint, so I better not buy that soap, but it sounds like a great deal! I'll mention it to friends and my SIL who has eczema.

    I think it's cute that they call you The Girl. "La NiƱa means the girl in Spanish and it does make a girl feel special, like she's the ONLY girl...so I believe it's a huge compliment to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacy,

    You might try REI, a camping supply store, or any natural food store.

    Good stuff, tends to separate in the cold though (just have to shake it up).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Stacy Q, did you get the email I sent you about where to find it locally? I replied to your email address you used to make the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to try that soap, I wonder if it's available in Canada?

    Does it make your skin all tingly fresh?

    *peppermint love*

    The Girl would look great printed on a t-shirt, I'd totally wear that and be famoooooose!

    ReplyDelete