Wednesday, November 3, 2010

10 Things I Love About Life in America

Three months in, a few things I love about being back in America:

1. Walking into a store that has clothes and shoes in my size, and no one telling me I am too big or fat for their store.
2. Buying produce without having to weigh it first at a chaotic produce counter where if you don't shove to the front, you never get your stuff weighed.
3. No one screaming "Hello!" in my face as I'm walking by.
4. Super clean public bathrooms!
5. Everything smells so good. (Americans are very particular about smells, aren't we?)
6. Indoor climate control everywhere you go.
7. People smile at you and hold the door*.
8. Target.
9. So much cheese!
10. No firewall, no need to censor what I'm Googling, and I can take pictures of whatever I want.**

*Stores in my part of China don't have doors, just an open wall, but no one smiles.

**In the video I posted recently of my neighborhood, you might not have noticed I was being very careful to keep the camera on my side of the street. That's because across the street was a large firehouse, which in China is a military installation. You're not allowed to photograph that kind of thing, and they had an armed military officer at all times outside the firehouse keeping guard. You always need to be careful in China where you're pointing your camera.

Tomorrow, 10 things I miss most about living in China.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, and it is great that you can get cheese and a clean bathroom AT target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list.
    I agree with you on all points...especially Target, cheese and clean bathrooms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like someone's glad to be back in America. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BBS, on review, 9/10 of those things could have something to do with Target. I guess I don't love America as much as I just really love Target.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... There are so many things we don't think about here because we're so used to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, found your blog at random. Hi.

    This really makes me excited for my visit back home in a few months. Cheeeeese.... Tarrrrget.... And yes about the clothes. And the produce. What I'm saying is: you've hit many nails on their heads here.

    ReplyDelete