Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Men Who Can Get Physical

I often find myself attracted to men who are not so verbally expressive, but are really good with their bodies. Their work might involve physical action and agility, or their favorite hobbies require it. They know where they are in space at all times. They use their bodies, not their mouths, to express thoughts and emotions.  And I am none of these things. I am constantly covered in bruises. I've knocked myself out cold, more than once. I sometimes feel awkward and uncomfortable expressing with my body what is happening in my head*. I guess in falling for these men, I'm attracted to what I lack. There is something very ying-yangy about it that is hard to resist.
It can be hard, though, to make such a man understand that lack of physical comfort doesn't equal lack of feeling, that it takes time for a word-centered person to express and orient themselves physically. I have had some good, and bad, experiences with this. But it's nice when we can find middle ground.
*Dancing comes really easy to me, though, I guess because there is no thought behind it; it's just movement for the pleasure of moving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment