Tuesday, September 7, 2010

That One Thing, And You Just Knew

I was going to write about coming back to an English speaking country and how sensory overwhelming it is to be in a group or crowd of people and understand everything that is being said, but it will have to wait for another day. Instead:

Did you ever date someone, casually or otherwise, and they did that one thing that just made you know for certain: this isn’t going to work out? And even if you ignored your gut for a while and tried, you could still always pinpoint that moment you knew? Yeah, here are a few of mine:

- The time we went through the drive-through at a custard shop and you didn’t ask me if I wanted anything. Who does that?? We got back to my house and while you ate the custard, I told you I was sort of done with you. You looked surprised. And never offered me any custard.

-The time you told me you had always dreamt of going to a Phil Collins concert. Really? Phil Collins is your dream concert? So never going to work out. (Apologies to PC fans, but that just ain’t my style.)

-The time you told me “How can someone so smart be so flighty?” And refused to go swimming with me in the middle of the night because the pool was closed. I broke in with another guy while you stayed home and studied. And those times you made me do math equations you wrote out during the college freshman world history class we had together. It sucked when you found out I scored higher than you on college entrance exams, didn’t it?

-The time you just flat out ignored the email and/or text I sent you. No one ignores someone they adore. NO ONE.

It used to be I kept trying, even after I knew, sometimes for years. The beauty of the wisdom of age is: even though it might hurt, it’s good to know I can move on and not waste my precious time on you one second longer than necessary. Those blinders fall off so much faster now. Thank goodness.

So, what were your moments??

7 comments:

  1. No custard? Really. That floors me.
    What guy would pass up a midnight swim??? was he gay? :)

    How about the guy who kissed like a vacuum cleaner? Smart, athletic, attractive, almost a DR.
    But you can't kiss? see ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! PLEASE tell me that this wasn't all the same guy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my moments would have to be when she disrespected my entire spiritual upbringing then casually mentioned that "...there would be three "L"'s in my name..." referring to if we got married. This was a first date!

    Another moment would be the second date with the same woman... I had to explain Monty Python "Holy Grail
    "! If you don't get it, it can't be explained!

    I much prefer the date I went on next (different woman). We talked for four hours about Rocky and Bullwinkle (and other toons)! This is the moment I knew I had found someone special! In fact, I married her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed on all except the concert... hubby and i have WILDLY differing tastes in music (we do have common stuff though) and well, he calls it music and i call it noise :-D

    Some things are worth working around.

    But the selfishness?

    No. Way. José!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was waiting for a guy, bored... picked up a VHS sized box addressed to his roommate in the mail pile, and was looking at the return address. He SNATCHED it out of my hand and barked at me: "I cannot believe you're reading someone else's mail!!!"
    My indignant argument that looking at the return address is not the same as reading someone's mail fell on deaf ears.
    I'm embarrassed that it took me a couple of months to finally break up with him. One of the big regrets of my life is I didn't just end it that night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! Boy, and we women sure do wait around a LONG time when we're younger, don't we...? We keep thinking "Oh, he'll change..." and we make excuse after excuse.

    I'm with Suz on the bad kisser thing. I once dated the NICEST guy but OMG he was the worst kisser. I felt like I needed to WASH my face when he was done. Plus he was too nice... like a Golden Retriever that wanted to follow me around. Have some self RESPECT, man!

    Oh, and about the guy who PASSED UP on the midnight swim....?! Clearly gay. Hubster and I had fun skinny dipping past midnight in closed/locked pools more than once... and if a guy isn't going to go for that... LATER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This hits a little too close to home for me right now. There are a million different reasons I think my current relationship is going to work out. On the other hand, there are a few things that leave me thinking "This just isn't going to work out." It's hard to know what's a red flag, and what should be overlooked. Hmm...

    At any rate, I realized it wasn't going to work out with this other guy after we had an hour long conversation and he didn't ask me one thing about myself. Not one. I was totally done after that.

    ReplyDelete