Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Autumn Can Change Your Life

Caution: this is kind of a girly post.

For those who don't know me personally, I am half Chilean, half American. I inherited my mom's darker Chilean coloring and my dad's American features. I'm a mutt! And all my life people (salespersons, friends, etc.) have been telling me my coloring is Winter, because I have dark hair and dark eyes. Winters have pink undertones in their skin and look great in lots of white, black, navy blue, cherry reds, purples, etc... And gray. I LOVE gray. My mom would always tell me I looked like I was constantly dressing for a funeral because I wore so much black, gray, and white. But I noticed in lots of pictures, I looked kinda terrible. I thought I just really didn't take good pictures.

So one day I'm in China innocently looking something up on the internet and I read that many Latina and Asian women are not Winter, they are Autumn: dark hair and eyes but with gold undertones to their skin, not pink, and that a quick way to check if you are Winter or Autumn is too look at the veins in your arms and legs: are they blue or greenish in hue? I checked: totally green! I've been an Autumn all along! So really, I should be wearing browns, golds, brickish reds, and warm colors, not cool. Changed my life, y'all. I started replacing all my blacks with browns, whites with creams, and cherry reds for warmer hues. It really did change the tone and reflection of my skin. I looked much healthier and less pallid. The gray is really hard to stop wearing, though. I still love it.

Two related stories:

1. I emailed my mom and said, "Guess what? I'm an Autumn, blah blah blah" and explained to her the whole theory. My mom is very fashionable from her days as a singer, so she likes this topic. I got back an email in all caps that simply said, "I TOLD YOU NOT TO WEAR SO MUCH BLACK." Touché mom, touché.

2. T. and I were sitting talking when a Chinese girl told him out of the blue, "You look like a Brazilian soccer player, but that shirt is wrong for you." He looked at me and I said, "Yeah... she's right. Let me see your arm." Blue veins! He was wearing green, an Autumn color, and he is definitely a Winter. I had a chance to color code a few of my American friends in China; I know they are all SO grateful for my help. (I'm pretty sure things like this are the things they tolerate about me.) I also share this example because I love how in Chinese culture, this was totally normal for her to say. I don't know if I'd ever tell someone I didn't know well and wasn't being paid to help that their shirt color was all wrong for them. But in China, it's totally fine to do that. Your business is my business, mi amour.

In China most people are Autumns, and I noticed that the clothing for sale reflected that: lots of yellow and green and brown and warmer colors. And I've noticed here in America, it's all white, black, blue and red. It's harder for me to find those warmer colors here. Just an observation.

Check your veins! It might change your life. (Spring is the fairer version of Autumn, Summer is the fairer version of Winter.)

6 comments:

  1. Great. Now there's a "color me beautiful men" and "color analysis men" entries in my Google records for ever...I really need to remember to go to anonymous mode before some searches.

    I do hope one day to save up the funds to just go to http://www.markalleninc.com/ and say, "Do me." (That's THE New England mens shop, and only a half hour from me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how interesting! I feel all edumacated now... well, enough to google skin seasons and try to figure out what the heck I am, veins and all :-D

    ps: your mom is awesome :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was typed as a Winter long ago, but I think I'm more of an Autumn as well... my hair has some red in it... and I like the way I look in brown... But my veins are pink with purple polka dots... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Someone once told me I'm a Spring, but I LOVE neutral colors... I guess now I know why! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn! I to lose some weight, I can't see my veins! Oh, wait... there they are. But I can't tell which color they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK so now I think I am a Summer? I am fair, but tan easily and those veins...blue. Must go check that closet and see if I am wearing the right colours!

    ReplyDelete