Monday, September 20, 2010

Awkward Questions

When we agreed to be Peace Corps volunteers in China, we also agreed to never ever, ever, never, ever discuss the ‘3 T’s’ with any Chinese Nationals: Tibet, Taiwan and Tiananmen Square. Those topics were pretty easy to avoid; I think the entire time I was in China, people only asked me about them 3 or 4 times. And it is fairly easy to deflect conversations in China; if you change the subject, they accept that means you don’t want to talk about it. But there were other questions asked that weren’t necessarily verboten, but for me, awkward to answer. Such as:

1. “What do you do in America to spot the counterfeit money?” There is a problem with counterfeit money floating about in China. It’s quite common to be passed fake money, to the extent that if you get fake money from an ATM, the bank is not responsible for reimbursing you. (The safest way to get money is from a teller, because they check it before they hand it to you.) So you learn to inspect the paper on everything higher than a five, and if you do get fake money, you can make a scene or decline it or whatever. Or try to pass it to someone else. So when the business teachers asked me how we spot fake U.S. money, it felt awkward to have to admit we don’t really have the same size problem. One of them said,"But how? Your money is easier to counterfeit than ours!” Um, I don’t know. We just don’t really have to worry about it. I mean, I know there is counterfeit money, but not in daily rotation like there is in China. I still don’t really have a good answer for that.

2. “Why do Americans just say ‘Korea’ when they really mean ‘South Korea?” My answer: it’s tradition to just say ‘Korea.’ Follow up question, “What if you want to talk about North Korea?” Answer in my head I didn’t say out loud, "’Most Americans don’t talk about North Korea.” In China, there is South Korean and North Korean. In America, there is usually Korean and North Korean. My students picked up on this. They are smart kids.

3. “Do you have to have a visa to go to Hong Kong?” No, American citizens don’t need a visa to go to Hong Kong. “Oh, in China we have to have a visa to go to Hong Kong.” I never really said anything after that, just something lame like, “Oh.” But inside I was cringing.

All of these questions were asked out of sincere curiosity; it’s just that the answers made me feel a bit awkward. Luckily, they were usually short conversations.

8 comments:

  1. If I pay with $50 of above, they check the bills (here in Miami). Only a few times have I seen someone check my $20 and the guy just raised it up to the light. That's odd that it's almost expected to receive counterfeit money in China.

    I hadn't noticed we only specify when we talk about North Korea but you're absolutely right. Strange, huh?

    Interesting that they need a Visa to travel to Hong Kong. It's all very interesting, my friend. I learn something new from you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so interesting. (and odd!)
    Funny money.
    Do you know why the visa issue to Hong Kong is open to Americans and not the Chinese?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hong Kong has long had issues with illegal immigration from mainland China.

    While once again part of China and in the end dependent on Beijing, it has substantial differences on the ground and independence in how it does things.

    It maintains a common law legal system (like the U.S. and most former British colonies), the official government language is English (when the English and Chinese text are in conflict, they consider the English editions of their laws and regulations to be the authoritative one).

    It also maintains it's own customs & immigration systems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting about Hong Kong... I mean, how do they keep track? It's not like entering a country is it? Or am I just too dense to get it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh most definitely -- going mainland China to Hong Kong would be like crossing the U.S. -- Mexican border.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man...

    THIS is a connection I never expected to make back to Becca's blog in a very direct way:

    How Paris Hilton and Cocaine explains Chinese problems with counterfeiting:

    http://www.csmonitor.com/World/2010/0922/Paris-Hilton-meet-Japan-s-hardline-policy-on-drugs

    And the operative paragraph:

    "The most commonly abused drug in Japan is "shabu" a form of methamphetamine, much of it imported from North Korea by the yakuza mafia. The drug is widely believed to be – along with counterfeit currency – the communist state’s biggest export earner."

    Proximity is a major factor in any crime statistic...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hum... in France we do say "Corée du Sud and Corée du Nord." weird!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed this post! Tell me something interesting about Texas.

    ReplyDelete