Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Home Is Where The Paper Plates Are

I made my way back to the USA this past weekend; I didn’t go straight to America after leaving Chongqing, but had a great final week with friends. I cried A LOT. Some people got the brunt of this, and because they are of the man variety, I feel a little bad. But the tears were in part because I would miss them so much, so hopefully they at least felt flattered I cared so much. 

Reverse culture shock? Yes, absolutely a real thing. Not just for me, but for my family having to deal with me. I’m sure at times they are thinking,”Who ARE you now?” It’s the little things here driving me crazy: personal distance, driving with RULES, small talk, concepts of time, American germaphobia, and the utter lack of people everywhere I go. I feel like I’ve survived a plague. Don’t get me wrong, it’s wonderful to have so much calmness around me, but it’s also really weird. I feel really socially awkward right now. I’m pretty sure I’ve been rude to a few people because I got all Chinese on them in the store. But hey, when it’s your turn next in line at the cashier, go! 

(Things I love about America: access to any internet site I want, clean food I don’t have to scrub before eating (although I keep forgetting and scrub it anyway), and unlimited corn tortillas and salsa in my belly. Yum.)

I’m staying with my mom temporarily. This morning I used a waxed paper plate for my breakfast and it was only a little dirty, so I told her not to throw it out and I’d use it again later in the day. A few minutes later she came over to where I was sitting: “You’re not in China anymore, you can have a new paper plate whenever you want it.” Me: “But I don’t need a new one, it’s still useable!”

To my mom’s credit, she didn’t throw it away. But I know she doesn’t understand why I’m hanging onto a paper plate.

I’m about 72 hours stateside; jet lag is a pain! Thank goodness for bad TV at 3 AM.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Id love to catch up with you on the phone one of these days. Id also like to plan a visit in the next year or so, either you come here or I go there, or we could meet somewhere in North America.
    Love reading about all you do :D You amaze me!
    Laurie :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome back home. You will be a American again before you know it although you may not like the cabbies as much. And I'd like to know what websites you were trying to access that were banned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you made it home safely; I have been wondering about you.
    Take your time to get acclimated into life again.
    I don't know what to say about paper plates, they are totally banned in my house. But if we had one (or a few) they would be used more than one time :)
    Enjoy your family!!!!!
    Hugs, Suz

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are home safe and sound. I think just realizing that you are having some reverse culture shock...is that how you put it? Will make it easier to get back to the old ways.
    Enjoy your salsa!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so awesome! I'm so glad that you're home safely. Take your time getting used to things; you deserve it. Hope to see you soon! xoxo cristina

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like me when I went from Cuba to NY and then to Miami (which is a lot like Cuba!). At times I still suffer from culture shock, only now it makes me smile.

    Welcome home, my friend! You are much more well-rounded, and maybe you can teach people in America a few new things now...like when they need to move forward in line, go already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you made it back safe and sound... you've been missed! I cannot imagine all you are going through, it's crazy!

    One day at a time.

    One corn tortilla at a time :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back my friend.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad that you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL... that is so cute. I can see you clutching your paper plate. Sweet of your mom to not insist on throwing it out. (My mother would have INSISTED on throwing it out.... "bacteria will be growing on it!") :)

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete