Wednesday, November 11, 2009

How Goats Are A Theme In My Life Right Now

Last Tuesday I went biking in the countryside, and saw a mamma goat with four little baby goats (one of which was sunbathing!). I couldn't resist stopping for a few minutes to play with them. (Little known fact: I love goats! My family used to have pet goats, and they are smart like dogs.) But two days later, I was one sick puppy. Is there such a thing as Goat Flu? I am feeling better now, still some bad fatigue and achiness, but wow, it really knocked me off my feet. Hence the lack of posts lately.

And these are the other goats in my life: the Chinese "Happy Goats", aka Xi Yang Yang, a local kid's cartoon taking China (the world?) by storm. It's a simple cartoon about cute little goats who have to fight off a wolf; the wolf doesn't want to eat the goats, but his wife makes him try. All the goats have their own little nicknames and skills and they always succeed in besting the wolf, but the wolf always comes back for another try. This show is also popular with adults (the line here between child and female adult entertainment is blurred), and you can't go anywhere without facing down various types of Xi Yang Yang paraphernalia for sale: toys, handbags, underwear, balloons, jewelry, candy, clothing, shoes, etc. It's a Xi Yang Yang world, all day, every day.

These type of phenomenon are interesting, because literally over a billion people know about this show, and yet, I bet it's unknown in most of the West. (But I'm not sure: have any of you heard of this show?) It reminds me again why China is such an alluring business market: you make it here, you don't really need to make it anywhere else.

6 comments:

  1. So sorry you are not well. Goat Flu? Have not heard of this one...yet.
    I actually like goats too. We had an incident at our house a few years ago where some goats had escaped from someones home and the police had to herd them into my yard (because we have a fence) until someone could pick them up with a trailer. They loved my grass and flowers!!!!
    Have not seen this cartoon, but I am sure like all other silly stuff on TV, it will get here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I've never heard of it. It looks cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted a goat. To mow my lawn for me. Don't laugh, on CBC they were talking about a company in Seattle that will rent you goats for precisely that reason! So apparently I'm not crazy..or something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've definitely never heard of the Happy Goat Show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right... never heard of that show! All I know is Hello Kitty merchandise, sooo cool :-D

    Flu sucks - kinda hard to escape it when you're constantly sandwiched by so many people...

    Be careful, you - rest and get well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How adorable! I hadn't heard of this show, but I'll be looking for it. My parents had goats on their farm in Cuba...and they were brilliant, much smarter than the other animals (and some of the hired help). :)

    Btw, I closed my blog temporarily...I may either come back or start a new one.

    ReplyDelete