Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bus Adventures With Chinese Grandma: Don't Forget Your Stockings!

Last night I was taking the bus to a friend's campus and sat down next to a grandma. Now, in the words of my friend Patrick, "Chinese grandmas are the sh*t." It's true: they can do anything and exude a quiet confidence I aspire to. (Also, they can totally snake all the good veggies at the market before anyone realizes what's happening.) They rule with a silk fist. You don't mess with a Chinese grandma.

And to a Chinese grandma, all the world's a grandchild, especially a lone foreign girl. I sat down next to grandma in my short skirt and knee-high boots, sans stockings, and she immediately began chastising me for being bare-legged. I explained I don't have stockings, and she started running her hands up and down the bare-showing parts of my thighs, trying to warm me up. After a year and a half here, this didn't faze me (haha, I first wrote "phase" me), but I still had to laugh at the image of a Chinese grandma feeling up a random foreign girl on the bus, all the while chuttering in rapid Chinese about my lack of stockings. (I know chuttering isn't a real word, but I mean something like 'muttering and chattering'. Is there a word that combines those two things? There should be.)

This week I also had a grandma slip ahead of me in the grocery store line as I was paying in order to inspect everything I bought and help me bag it up in my reusable bags. (My friend: "What's she doing?" Me: "Being a grandma, I guess.") Another grandma held a spot for me in the train station bathroom because she was under the impression a foreigner would never get a bathroom stall if she didn't guard one for her; she actually shooed people away! It was very sweet, and I was really touched by her kindness. She was so thrilled I could speak Chinese with her, I think she was ready take me all the way to Chengdu.

I treasure these little moments. I'm glad I live alone a regular Chinese neighborhood, not a foreigner enclave with a car and driver/translator, as many expats here do. Although it's tempting at times to segregate myself from a sometimes difficult cultural experience, I know I'd be missing out on a lot. This is one of the great things about Peace Corps service.

10 comments:

  1. Wow. I love this...everyone needs a Grandma and especially a 'little foreign' girl!!!
    I do hope your legs were shaved..or she may have chastised you for that too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chinese girls don't shave anything, so she might have been weirded out by my bare legs. On the other hand, most Chinese girls are not really that hairy, so she probably didn't think anything of it.

    I love Chinese grandmas, they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smiled through this whole post. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the only way to get the most out of an experience such as yours is to throw yourself into the pool, so to speak!

    Your adventures are most wonderful, your blog is always one I read the first and with the most delight - thank you for sharing your life with us who are stuck at home! :)

    ps: get some stockings :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Chinese grandmas are the sh*t." I'm adding that one to my quote book! (I fill up blank books with my favorite sayings, expressions, movie lines...you name it!). I'll put "-Rebecca's friend, Patrick" underneath it to give credit where credit is due. :)

    That Chinese grandmas sounds like a riot! Reminds me of a few Cuban and Italian ones I grew up with...they treated all the neighborhood like their own and they were extremely overprotective (in a good way).

    I love hearing about your cool life in China! One day you'll come back to this blog and relive it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really cool. I was smiling reading this blog post. I never had a grandmother, but I can imagine it would be a lot like the stories you just shared.

    This was awesome...I enjoy your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly, I really miss you too. Can't wait for dinner again.

    Aw Rebex, that goes both ways! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so easy to choose high quality [url=http://www.euroreplicawatches.com/]replica watches[/url] online: [url=http://www.euroreplicawatches.com/mens-swiss-watches-rolex/]Rolex replica[/url], [url=http://www.euroreplicawatches.com/mens-swiss-watches-breitling/]Breitling replica[/url], Chanel replica or any other watch from the widest variety of models and brands.

    ReplyDelete