Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fun Cultural Differences

-In China you don't say "bless you" or any similar phrase when someone sneezes because they have a tradition that if a dog sneezes, it is good luck and means the weather will be pleasant the following day. So if you bless someone who sneezes, you are likening them to a dog who brings good luck. Also, you don't say "Excuse me" when you sneeze, because the Chinese do not think you need to apologize for things you cannot control. They think Westerners are extremely polite when we apologize for things like sneezing. A couple of other things:

-Diet drinks, foods etc. are not popular here and extremely difficult to find outside of the large Eastern cities. Every time I come across a can of diet Coke, I buy all they have in stock. So far, I have only run across two stores that had Diet Coke, a total of 6 cans. I enjoyed every drop. They eat very spicy, and very sweet, foods. (The fruit drinks I water down with half water.) It is a party in your mouth all the time!

-Is there anything cuter than a Chinese baby? No, there isn't. I can't take my eyes off of them in the street. Babies and small children do not wear diapers; instead they wear clothes with big slits up the front and back. I am not sure how their parents take care of their kid's business, because I have yet to see it in action.

-The average clothing size is about a 2. I am huge by Chinese standards.

-The local Peace Corps staff got us a Western-style cake for the 4th of July. We served it a bit differently. :)
One thing remains the same however: Texas rules! Even in China.

No comments:

Post a Comment