Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Chinese Food

Or as they call it here, food.


This morning I realized I wasn't thinking about how to pick up my food with chopsticks, I was just doing it. Progress! Breakfast was two hard boiled eggs, tomato slices with sugar sprinkled on top (there is no salt here, so you put sugar instead of salt on some raw veggies) and egg bread with a sweet coating on the bottom. Lunch today was green beans in a spicy sauce, pickled and finely chopped soybeans mixed with a chive-like veggie of some sort, and a spinach-type veggie with a spicy sauce. Sorry, I don't know yet what is actually in the sauces, but they are extremely tasty. Oh, and rice and peeled grapes on the side.

All raw fruits and veggies have to be peeled before they are eaten. Most veggies are cooked in a spicy oil with hot peppers and spices. As one of my fellow volunteers said, the food here is often high calorie, but it takes so much effort to eat it, you don't end up eating very much of it anyway. It is all very delicious, though. This region of China is known for having the most flavorful food in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment