Monday, October 18, 2010

Traditional Chinese Comb Gift, Neat Thermos

I didn't know before I lived in China that wooden combs are a traditional gift to give to girls/women, especially as a goodbye gift.

At the tourist neighborhood of CiQiKou in my city, there were shops selling decorative wooden combs and hairpins, but I didn't think much of them, I thought it was just a tourist trap item. But in the days before I left Chongqing, I received several nice wooden combs as a going away gift.

IMG_5056

They’re made of wood and painted with enamel. All the combs I received came in these nice boxes and were made by the same company; I’m not sure if this company is well-known for combs, or if they are the ones who sell in my area of China. One student wrote cute little messages for me all over on the box itself:

IMG_5057

The combs are often stylized, such as this yellow comb I use on a daily basis and is carved to look like a fish:

IMG_5059

All of the female volunteers I know were given combs as gifts, so I think it’s a pretty common practice, but one I’d never heard of. I asked someone why a comb was a traditional gift and she said, “Because it’s useful and beautiful.” Yes, they are both of these things! I find the wood makes my hair look more smooth than using a plastic comb, too.

-------------

My Chinese friend Cassie gave me this neat little pale pink/gray thermos as a going away gift; she knows I took a liking to the Chinese custom of drinking hot water and tea, so this was a really thoughtful gift. It’s extremely lightweight, well-sized for your hand and the thermos lid has this neat screw-off compartment for holding dry tea, instant coffee or any kind of mixer. Ingenious! It’s made by Tayohya, but I couldn’t find any stores selling these in the U.S. online. Maybe in Chinatown I’ll come across one. I use it constantly, it’s very well-suited to being carried around.

IMG_5060

6 comments:

  1. That thermos was such a thoughtful gift!
    Well, I suppose the combs were as well, but a little odd. Glad you like yours.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. note to self: comb gifts from chinese neighbors is not a passive/aggressive message to say, "You have bad hair. Fix it."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the thermos, color and all. What a great find! Let me know if you see it in the states; I'd buy myself one and order them for family and friends.

    Cute fish comb! I love it when you play show and tell with us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly beautiful and ingenious, those combs! I know you will treasure them for always :)

    I want that travel mug. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later

    ReplyDelete