Thursday, October 28, 2010

Quiet Time and Meditation

What do you do for quiet time?

I like my quiet time very early in the morning. In China I had the habit of waking up verrry early because the birds that lived in the bamboo growing outside my window also got up early. Older people did daily tai chi in the courtyard outside my apartment at the break of dawn. I loved seeing their quiet, uniform movements. It inspired me to find quiet time of my own.

I began the habit of sitting quietly every morning on my mat, thinking about what was important to me that day and what I wanted myself to know. I hesitate to call it 'meditation' because I wasn't trying to clear my mind, have some kind of experience in enlightenment, etc. I just wanted to focus my energies and be aware of what I was bringing into myself in the best way possible.

Now that I am home, I've had more time to focus on this process. I downloaded some podcasts about meditation that focus on breathing and relaxation. I've been reading a book my good friend J. sent me about forgiveness of yourself and others, and being positive. It sounds new age-y, but it's an important message. I started paying attention to the messages I send myself, and so many of them were negative. I've made a conscious effort to change that. I guess I always felt if I weren't really hard on myself, I wouldn't be a better person? I'm realizing that when you send yourself positive messages, you feel inspired to change things in a positive way. Positive reinforcement works with yourself, too!

Focused quiet time to reflect isn't easy. It requires you to give up a lot of your own ego. That has been the hardest part for me. Often I cry after this kind of meditation, but I think it's a good thing; it's releasing all those hard feelings I've had for myself and others for so long. If you don't have quiet time for yourself now, I challenge you to start taking 1 minute, then 2 minutes, and so on, and think about what message you want yourself to know. You are really smart, incredible people. I hope you all believe that about yourself.

3 comments:

  1. You made some good points there. I did a search about the topic and hardly found any specific details on other sites, but then happy to be here, seriously, thanks.

    - Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny that you wrote about this today, it has been on my mind lately as well.
    I don't usually allow myself this quiet time, and I should.
    I will try it out and see where I go.
    We should never give up learning new things...especially about ourselves.
    Have a great weekend.
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a GREAT post... and in our culture (especially), where we always rush-rush-rush, any sort of quiet time gets put on the back burner (and eventually falls off the stove altogether).

    I must say, I've gotten somewhat lax with my quiet time lately. But normally I go into my closet (I have a big closet), light candles, sit, focus inward, breathe, pray, and be thankful. I think gratitude is very important.

    Thanks for bringing this up... I think I will be visiting the closet today. :)

    ReplyDelete