Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What Happens When You Make The Silliest Decision Ever?

I've been reflecting on my close-to-two years I've spent in China. How have I changed? How have I NOT changed? What have I learned? That sort of boring thing.

And I've mentioned this before, but it's been a stronger feeling for me now: this is probably the silliest thing I've ever done. There is nothing wrong with Peace Corps, or China; they are both worth experiencing. But ME in Peace Corps China? On paper: ridiculous.

I read a good book about grief after my dad died. It said you shouldn't make any major life decisions for at least one year, because basically you are too sad to look at anything objectively in your right mind. I applied for Peace Corps weeks after my dad died. It was just something I always wanted to do, and maybe I felt like life is short and fragile? So, yeah. That's how I ended up here.

I had my education completed, a good job with opportunities, a super cute apartment I still miss and feel sad I don't live in now (click here for pics!), and a good life in America. My friends have houses and/or children and are responsible, fun adults. I didn't have the house or kids, but I was slowly being indoctrinated (haha, kind of). My friends? Super supportive. Pretty openly thought I was mad for walking away from so many things and doing this, but super supportive. I could not have done it without them. But still...what was I thinking?

And I mention this because even though it was probably one of the silliest decisions of my life, these things have a way of working out for our benefit. I am intensely, intensely grateful for this experience. I had a chance to take a step back, take stock of my life, look at where I was going and where I want to be, and see more clearly my faults, my strengths, my blessings and gifts. Things in my future will be different because I did this silly thing. (I am not being facetious when I say silly. It was in fact silly!) And because I truly believe in the value of telling kids that what they can achieve matters. I had teachers who did this for me, and it's an honor to be able to give back.

I mention it out loud, in writing, for those of you who might not know where your decisions will lead you, and worry about that. And I'm here to say: make all the "right" or "wrong" decisions you might make, and if you want to find the good in life, you will be lead to find it, no matter what. I really believe it. Now, moreso than ever.

On a housekeeping note, I have about 70 days left here in China. I fear a lot of what I am going through right as I prepare to leave will be boring to read about (philosophical or administrative), so I will be posting less. But, still posting. I fly home August 7th (!!!).

8 comments:

  1. What wonderful advice!!!
    We do learn from all our decisions...whether they are good or bad...in the end we learn.
    I am sure, at the end of your days, you will never ever regret this 'silly' decision.
    I applaud you for taking this brave leap of faith in your life and doing something that MOST of us are wayyyyy to afraid to do.
    You are someone to admire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the previous commenter. What a courageous leap you made! It's so admirable.

    I think you know I feel the same way about decisions. Right or wrong, the choices we make shape us. The chances we take, even when they don't turn out the way we wanted them to, are valuable experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you took a HUGE leap of faith to do what you did and think of the Adventures you've had! Very few people in life are courageous enough to step out and live their dreams, but you went for it! Just think of the stories you'll be able to share....

    I'm confident that as you get older, you will treasure this "silly decision".... and the memories you have of the time you spent in China.
    I really admire your courage.
    Once you have kids, a mortgage, and Multiple Things Tying You Down, adventures such as the one you're on now are only a dream... (and you've lived that dream - BRAVO for you!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot tell you how much I love this post. LOVE IT! I just recently read the book A Thousand Miles in a Million Years, it talks about wanting to live a better story. Perhaps thats what you needed to do. Regardless, your decision incredibly impacted your life. Thats where I am right now. The next to last paragraph? I really, really needed to read that today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wondered how you ended up there and now I'm more impressed by you and your courage. I could not have done what you're doing. You are reaching out (FAR!) and touching lives and figuring out your own. People die without doing half of that, Chica! You totally rock!!

    PS - I'll be blogging less, too...but not quitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the best thing to do with life is to just bite in it now, and worry about the worm later - you know? People hem and haw so long about things, by the time they make up their minds the opportunity is gone.

    I know your dad is proud of you - hell, we all are!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dont live by any code, any books. Read books that enlighten and avoid those that direct you. And remember, good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. You have done well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. not silly at all! you're so lucky to have been able to go! and for the record, can i just say:
    august 7th, august 7th, august 7th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!woot woot
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete