Saturday, September 6, 2008

Settling In

I am getting settled into my new apartment. It's very strange to be alone, I am used to having the other Peace Corps volunteers I came with close by. I have been spoken to very rapidly and loudly in Chinese several times over the past few days as I try to figure out how things work here. (That thing where you talk more loudly when someone doesn't understand you? Not just a Western thing.)

For example, if you buy produce in the grocery store, you have to have it weighed at a special weigh station before you get to the counter. Guess when I found that out? At the counter. Okay, back to the produce section. And certain household items have to be purchased at a special counter. Everyone just seems to know this, there are no signs or anything. I am often in the wrong line, at the wrong place, saying the wrong thing. But I am still having fun here!

I start classes on Monday. I am teaching four different classes: Oral English, Intercultural Communication, American Culture and Education, and Audio-Visual English. I set up my grading and attendance logs today and am now working on my first week lessons.

Oh, and I have the flu, so please wish me luck I don't feel too bad on the first day of class!

5 comments:

  1. I dislike grocery shopping as it is... THAT would drive me to starve myself!!!

    Sorry to hear that you are feeling under the weather. You will be just fine for the first day of class.

    BTW, still waiting for a pic of the new "do".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow. Talk about complicated. I hope you have some very cool people that cross your path sooner rather than later to start heading off those kinds of surprises for you.

    I hope you feel better soon. And good luck with day one. You'll be awesome, and your students are SO lucky. They get YOU as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn: I took some pics but I can't find the cord to connect my camera to the computer since my move. I know I didn't leave it behind, but I am distraught I can't find it. Wish me luck!

    Sarah: wow, coming from a teacher like you (Excellence award!) that is a huge compliment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD LUCK! I guess you won't be teaching the 3 R's, eh? Teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of my first shopping trip in Spain. My companion failed to tell me I needed to weigh my produce and print out the label. The checker was so annoyed at me and had to leave the register to go do it herself. It was awkward! So...I definitely understand your shopping woes. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete